plot
application
who's who
face claims
plotting
development
wanted ads
0 days since a Chris Wade death threat
The year is 2150, the month is February. The winter is getting colder, and the Arkers are nowhere near prepared for the harsh winter, especially not now that their supply runs to Mount Weather have become completely nonexistent. Despite the lack of Arker presence in the mountain, the tensions have not died down, and with the return of one of Mount Weather's missing residents, revenge on the Sky People will be top priority. In Arkadia, following the damage Clarke and the others caused in Azgeda, Chancellor Griffin and the Guard must begin taking action to prepare for a war with the Ice Nation that is well on its way. Little do they know, the war has already begun with the arrival of a certain Azgedan spy, and what lies ahead is far worse than anything they have faced yet.
female
male
couple
thread
spotlight

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Closed
New Poll

Word Count & OTMs, a call for opinions

Keep the Word Count or Nah?
Keep the word count [ 2 ]  [66.67%]
Nah (Banish the word count) [ 1 ]  [33.33%]
Total Votes: 3

Star
 Posted on Sep 11 2017, 07:09 PM
Hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief.
application
shipper
wanted
development
-- years old
Admin
Whimsical

280 posts

Hey, guys! This isn't an announcement as much as it is a call for opinions! I've been thinking about these two things for a while, and I wanted to know what y'all thought about them!

First is our word count: Currently, Echoes has a word count of at least 150 words per post. That isn't many words, but I think some people are turned off by word counts in general. I have been thinking of doing away with the word count altogether as long as members are thoughtful of other players when replying and give them a reasonable amount of things to respond to. What do you guys think? For this, you can vote in the poll above, but if you have anything else to add, such as reasons why we should/shouldn't have a word count, feel free to comment below.

Secondly is our OTMs: I've been thinking of skipping the nominations and voting polls and simply allowing members to PM me their votes, and whoever ends up with the most votes that way wins. I didn't know if you all were super attached to the voting polls or not, or if you would be comfortable doing it this way instead? I definitely want opinions on this, so if you feel so inclined, please comment them below as well!

This poll and topic will be open until the end of the week unless a significant amount of people feel strongly about one thing or another, in which case I'll close it early and either make the necessary changes or keep things the way they are. Thanks, y'all!
PM
^
Gina Martin
 Posted on Sep 11 2017, 07:36 PM
Don't do anything stupidly heroic.
application
shipper
wanted
development
21 years old
operations assistant
kind-hearted

726 posts

Personally, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other on the word count - I know I often go for sites that advertise "no word count" - but it is important to me that people actually post, y'know, enough - like Star said. Responding to posts that are actually 150 words or less is really difficult, imo - and often just kills my muse, idk about anyone else on that front, though. If we do get rid of the WC, maybe consider saying its an intermediate+ level site? Our members are generally speaking pretty advanced, so, idk, it feels like it would draw in people of a similar level? idk if I'm making sense anymore xD I just want to make sure that if we remove the WC, people aren't going to go around making posts that are 150 words or less, nami?

---

As for OTM's, I'm good with whatever's easiest for the admin side, really. I like the polls http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif but I'm not going to be upset if it goes away, either. I've seen OTMs done many ways in the past and I'm not so sure there is any singular "best" way to do them. But I don't have much in the way of suggestions for what to do here because I'm not super attached one way or the other http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif
PMEmail
^
Bellamy Blake
 Posted on Sep 11 2017, 08:03 PM
Garden-variety heroic. You got it.
application
shipper
wanted
development
23 years old
Guardsman
Protective

1020 posts

I think the word count rule is pretty damned reasonable. If you don't have 150+ words to say, text based roleplay is not for you. You could omit it as a "rule" but mention in the rules, or ad, that typical posts from our members are ~300-600 words, so people sort of know what is expected of them. I honestly hate the "intermediate"/"advanced" level rpg distinctions, because I've always been under the impression that self-described "advanced" writers use a lot of unnecessary adjectives and are basically terrible at writing.

I have always felt that OTM awards are, in general, too frequent. I would consider doing quarterly awards by season. I feel like the awards have more meaning when they're less frequent. But polls are fun, and I like them. Also, I always forget to PM you nominations, but I remember to vote in polls, so...if you want my opinions you either have to remind me, or make polls XD
PM
^
Dani
 Posted on Sep 11 2017, 08:33 PM
application
shipper
wanted
development
28 years old

8 posts

I have a lot of the same opinion as the others so mine won't be detailed XDD I do agree that sometimes word counts deter people, but that's usually high word counts such as 500+. I think 150 is SUCH an easy count to meet, I've even tried to go below it and couldn't. While I agree that we don't necessarily NEED a word count, I'm also worried it would bring in people who don't quite match our level of writing? As Kef said, it's really difficult to thread with someone when you put in several paragraph's worth of effort, and you can 90 words back. It's frustrating. At least having a word count so minimal such as 150 will make players strive to meet that word count and thus improve their writing? (maybe?) On another one of my sites, the word count is 500 and sometimes if I don't meet it I try and think of other ways to to describe my situation (and not in the unnecessary adjectives way that Fox is talking about that I too hate XD) and then sometimes I don't meet it and just go 'yolo nobody cares'. But yea, I don't think I can personally rp with someone who only writes 3 sentences in response....

jk I have a lot of strong feelings on word counts.

as for OTM's, I like Fox's idea of seasonal- it'll be less work on you and people can shine longer. Also I suck at remembering to PM you nominations too..... I usually only vote in them >.> I DO think we should limit how many nominations a single person can give though.... each month there are way too many options and it's difficult to choose T_T
PM
^
Niylah
 Posted on Sep 12 2017, 08:23 PM
From the earth, we will grow. From the ashes, we will rise.
application
shipper
wanted
development
24 years old
trader
compassionate

54 posts

Can I just cosign everyone else's replies? I don't think a WC of 150 is unreasonable at all, and I honestly don't know that I'd be able to reply to something with less than that because I crave a little bit of detail about what's going on in the world around the characters and don't want to be the one who constantly has to fill it in by myself. (If that makes any sense at all.)

And I have nothing else helpful to add about OTMs beyond saying that I third Fox's idea about seasonal winners.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll

Voting & Affiliates
RP Lovers 1SW Candyland Couture a resource community Up in Smoke PanemForever HOS Lochland Grove The Pride Lands' Guard: A Lion Guard Roleplay The Arrow UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED ruinandrise OHaV Disposable Heroes ACTA Age of Heroes Forge Southern Winds Weyr